Beat the Heat with Thornybush Collection's Salad Selection
A light, refreshing midday meal is the perfect match for a hot African day. Even during a winter safari in South Africa, you'll find that things can get a little heated during the day time, especially if you're visiting from abroad.
Our avocado and chicken salad and beetroot salad hit the sweet spot every time with our guests at lunchtime. They're perfect for picnics or balmy summer evenings too.
Avocado and chicken salad
1 Chicken breast per person
2 Avocados, cubed
2 Cups cherry tomatoes
1 Small red onion
1T Balsamic vinegar
21/2T Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and grill until tender
2. Cube the breasts and allow to cool
3. Chop the onion and cut the tomatoes in half
4. Toss the tomato and onion together
5. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
6. Refrigerate the salsa
7. Arrange the chicken, avocado and salsa on a plate
This dish is best served chilled.
About the Dish
Avocados thrive on the farms around Hoedspruit. In fact, most of South Africa's 90 000-ton annual harvest comes from the avocado farms right here in Limpopo Province. Hence, it's easy for Thornybush Collection to get our hands on the biggest, best specimens during the growing season. 'Hass', 'Fuerte', 'Ryan' and 'Pinkerton' avocados are grown here.
Beetroot is another locally-grown treat which is in abundant supply and used to make delicious hot and cold salads at our lodges.
1kg Beetroot, cooked
1.5cup Orange juice and segments
Grated rind of ½ an orange
Salt & Pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients
- Cut beetroot into sections and soak in marinade overnight
- Arrange orange segments and beetroot on a platter and chill for 1 hour.
- Serve garnished with orange rind.
Fresh from Garden to plate!
Some of these include rocket, baby spinach and fresh assorted lettuce for crisp green salads, fresh herbs for cooking as well as to spruce up our gin stops in the bush. Edible flowers from the gardens add interest and colour to our food displays too.
Book your safari with Thornybush Collection and you're in for a treat – both out in the field and back at camp.